Here’s quick snapshot of news around the IT, Staffing, Talent Management and Government industries!
Around the IT Industry:
According to Modis (our sister company):
- CISPA Stalls in the Senate
- ISPs: Ignoring Google Fiber? One Foot in the Grave.
- Spammers Use Tragedy to Spread Malware
- HBO? No Thanks. We’ll Take Netflix.
- 3D Printer Creates the Tiniest Human Liver Ever–And it Actually Works.
- Big Data = Big Consequences. All that technology takes its toll on the environment. Modis gives 4 tips on how to reduce your company’s carbon footprint. [Modis.com]
Around the Staffing Industry:
- Mass layoffs (50 or more employees) fell 6% since from February. BLM will no longer report on these numbers due to the Sequester. [StaffingIndustry.com]
- The number of people seeking unemployment fell last week to the second lowest level in more than 5 years. Job growth is expected to slow down though in Q2. [Time: Business & Money]
- Lack of flexibility, challenge and communication via new tools are 3 reasons why you might not be able to attract millennials to your workforce. Adecco presents ideas on how to attract younger generations to your company. [Adecco]
- Lee Hecht Harrison shares how small, low cost decencies without “strings attached” can shape a positive culture at work. [Workplace Insights]
- Employees retain 10% of material that has been presented in a lecture format or PowerPoint presentation, but they retain 65% engage in experiential learning. New book, “Moonwalking with Einstein”, shares how to improve memory. [LinkedIn.com]
- Want to create a better work environment for your employees? Or perhaps you want to create the ultimate company everyone wants to work for? A recent study shows 6 essential principles the “ultimate dream company” must have. [Harvard Business Review]
Around the Government:
- The Sequester raised its ugly head in the airline industry this week. With 10,000 air traffic controllers out until October, the FAA estimated 1/3 of all travelers would be delayed that is until a new bill was passed to prevent this. The Dept of Transportation now funds to cover costs of furloughed employees. [Washington Post & Chicago Tribune]
- Did you know that the I-9 is in its 7th edition? The newest version of the I-9 is out and you have until May 8th to be compliant or else. [HR Executive Online]
- Economic advisors to congress say that “the stubbornly high rates of long-term unemployment are a national emergency.” [Fresnobee.com]
Did you find this post helpful? What would you like to see more of in future posts?