Welcome to our first candidate focused weekly review blog. We hope that you will find links to blogs and articles here that will assist in your job search, resume prep, interviews, and everyday work-life! If at any time you have specific questions, just let us know in the comments area.
Step 1: The Job Search:
- Are you currently receiving unemployment? Are you aware that the extended benefits program is set to expire at the end of 2013? In order for these benefits to be extended in 2014, Congress has to pass legislation to approve it.
- It has become pretty hard to stand out in a sea of resumes. This has lead to many people stepping outside of the box and creating video game resumes, renting billboards, and walking around town with huge signs attached to their bodies. This may not always be the best option for you though.
- Some welcomed good news from the Bureau of Labor Statistics; it looks like joblessness is starting to decline in most USA metro areas.
Step 2: The Interview and Waiting:
- Are you still sending hand written thank you notes after an interview? Turns out that most employers would prefer an email or even a phone call. That’s right a phone call is acceptable in most cases and allows for a two sided conversation.
- You may feel that once you receive a job offer you’re in the clear and its smooth sailing from there on. But hold, are you sure this job is right for you? Ask these questions before you accept an offer.
Step 3: The Workplace:
- The Daily Muse was nice enough to compile 45 pieces of the best career advice, no matter if you’re just starting out or a senior executive.
- According to Parkinson’s Law you may work and produce better if your deadlines are short. It kind of makes sense.
Did you find this post helpful? What would you like to see more of in future posts?